Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Carbohydrates in Weight Loss, Healthy or Unhealthy?


So I have been doing some research to find out if eating carbohydrates while I am trying to lose weight is the best option for me or should I really try to cut down on my daily intake?  I found a great website (I am not promoting this at all just simply googling my questions and this is what I found) that explains how many carbohydrates per day you should take in during weight loss or just in general.  I mean after all giving up carbohydrates totally is really not my greatest idea for losing weight.  I just don't think it would be a realistic lifestyle change.  I have 3 kids who look forward to Friday's and "Pizza Night". 

Little did I know??  This is one thing I found.

Click here to read the Full Article on Daily Carb Intake, Good or Bad?
"300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!
Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain
Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range
This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss
Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits."

Information in Italics found at marksdailyapple.com

I think the 50-100 grams a day range is going to be a challenge for me.  I mean 8 oz. of Yoplait 99% Fat Free Original Yogurt has 42g of total carbohydrates.  I am almost there with one serving of yogurt.  I think this is the perfect example to show just how easily you can consume 300 or more grams per day.  I am definitely counting carbohydrates along with my calories from now on!  What do you think?

~Amy
Skinny Jeans Amy, Skinny Jeans.  Stay focused!

I think the part above sums my goal for success in weight loss.  "eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds)"  After all, one Large Egg has 1g of Carbohydrates!  By eating 2 egg whites and only one whole egg I take in 3g carbs and save myself from 9 grams of fat as well.  That's Exciting news :)

No comments:

Post a Comment